Long Island Motor Parkway Bridge Series #43: Massapequa-Hicksville Motor Parkway Bridge in Plainedge
The 43rd bridge in the series documenting the 60 bridges built by the Long Island Motor Parkway is the Massapequa-Hicksville Road Bridge in Plainedge.
One of the original 16 bridges built for the Vanderbilt Cup Races, it was used as part of the 1908 course and as a spectator viewing site for the 1909 and 1910 races.
Location of the bridge just east of the Wantagh Avenue Bridge.
The area surrounding the bridge was purchased from Joseph Walsh.
The bridge was adjacent to the Massapequa Lodge.
Construction Photos- September 3, 1908
Location for the 1908 Motor Parkway Sweepstakes and the 1908 Vanderbilt Cup Race
George Salzman driving the #12 Thomas on to the bridge. The Massapequa Lodge is to the right.
George Robertson driving the winner "Old 16" Locomobile.
1909 and 1910 Courses
For the 1909 and 1910 Vanderbilt Cup Races, the course turned on to the Massapequa-Hicksville Road prior to the bridge.
Harry Grant and Frank Lee in the Alco Black Beast as seen from the bridge.
A ground-level view looking south towards the bridge.
Robert Burman driving the #27 Marquette-Buick off the temporary road during the 1910 Vanderbilt Cup Race.
Spectators watching the race on the bridge.
Another view from the top of the bridge.
By1959, the bridge had been taken down and the lodge abandoned. Photo courtesy of Ron Ridolph.
The lodge was demolished in the early 1960s and the site became part of a garden apartment complex. The right-of-way of the Long Island Parkway has been repaved and now leads to the Nassau County Eighth Precinct police station.
Google Earth View