Jul 19 2017

Profile Series: Tucker ‘48 #1001 -The First Pilot Production Tucker


In the second of the profile series on the 51 Tuckers, the first pilot production Tucker is highlighted.

Enjoy,

Howard Kroplick


Tucker '48 #1001 -The First Pilot Production Tucker

Original Color: Maroon/600
Current Color: Maroon

Owner: AACA Museum
Ownership Type: Museum- Cammack Tucker Gallery
Location: Hershey, PA
Website: AACA Museum

Tucker Automobile Club of America Profile and Images

Engine: Franklin 0-335, 6-cylinder horizontally opposed, 334 cubic inch, 166 HP
Transmission: Tucker Y-1, Modified from a Cord 810/812 transmission

Notes:

  • Originally owned by John Woytiowich. Green when purchased in 1950.
  • Sold to David Cammack in 1973
  • After #1003, the rear fenders were changed to allow wheel removal and suspension was converted to a rubber sandwich style arrangement.

#1001 was acquired by preeminent Tucker collector David Cammack in 1973.


David Cammack and his collection in Alexandria, Virginia. Filmed on October 19, 2009


Following David Cammack's death in 2013, his entire Tucker collection including #1001, #1022, and #1026 was donated to the AACA Museum in Hershey, Pennyslvania. The Cammack Tucker Gallery opened in October 2014.

Note: The middle "Cyclops" headlight extends beyond the front bumper. Bumpers in later pilot production Tuckers were widened to correct this problem. In addition, as with the first 26 pilot production Tuckers, the gas tank is in the rear with access through the rear scoop.



Comments

Leave a Comment