A leading manufacturer of bicycles in the 1890s, the Pope Manufacturing Company began making automobiles at the turn of the century. Their cars were branded according to the location of the manufacturing plant and style; Pope-Robinson (Hyde Park, Massachusetts), Pope-Waverly Electric (1904-1908,made in Indianapolis), Pope-Tribune (Hagerstown, Maryland, 1904-1908), Pope-Toledo (1904-1909, Toledo, Ohio) and Pope-Hartford (1904-1914, Hartford, Connecticut).
During its short ten year lifespan, Pope-Hartford produced some of the most exciting, high-quality cars of the period including two racers that participated in the 1910 Vanderbilt Cup Race. As seen at their training headquarters with an assistant, the Pope-Hartford drivers Jack Fleming and Bert Dingley gave a shout-out to Dingley's native California.
A close-up of the team.
The drivers and their mechanicians in front of one of the 1910 Pope-Hartford racers.
The #17 Pope-Hartford, driven by Jack Fleming, making a service stop on the Long Island Motor Parkway in front of the Officials Stand/Press Box.
Fleming's car completed all 22 laps of the 1910 Vanderbilt Cup Race. Averaging 62.5 MPH, the #17 Pope-Hartford finished a strong 6th among the 30 participating cars.
The #22 Pope-Hartford, driven by Bert Dingley, seen here making a "pit" stop.
Dingley on the Westbury Turn located at Old Country Road and Ellison Road. Note the banking on the curve that was built for the race.
This beautiful 1909 Pope-Hartford made an appearance at last month's Klingberg Vintage Motorcar Festival. Owned by Jerry and Joyce Chase of Middletown, Connecticut, this 40 HP Model S touring car was previously part of Harrah's Automobile Collection. Note the similarity of the car's bell-shaped radiator as compared to the two 1910 racers.