Just months after being founded in October 1900, the Long Island Automobile Club posted 20" x9" porcelain road signs on the major Long Island roads. Each blue and white sign included the club's name and directions to the nearest village(s).
In the early 1980s, Long Islander Jim Fitchett discovered several of these rare historic signs on a North Shore estate. Considered highly collectible as the oldest known porcelain road signs in the United States, these signs, many from the Fitchett collection, are valued at $750 and higher, depending on their condition.
Old Cars Weekly, January 5, 1984
This Glen Cove sign was obtained by Jim Fitchett on July 30, 1983 from Henry Austin Clark, Jr. Coutesy of Ian Zwerdling.
Anyone want to venture a guess where this Roslyn road sign may have been located?